contains mild peril

Saturday, February 03, 2007

tense.... or a Marquee?

I've always been dubious of online "communities" (ok ok I've worked on pitches and products for these over for the last few years so maybe I'm jaded).

However, I actually contributed to and - heck - felt a part of one (the PM blog) since it began last year (comment 64 on the First Day which should've put me in mind of the Beatles, now i think of it)

Anyway, the technology or management behind the site has basically fallen apart. Which has left the regulars a bit floundered (especially as its referred to as a pond...)

Its a shame as it almost reached the point of a maturing community where the "old guard" was going through changes (contributor power) and new members. But this was still a few months away. Instead all this has potentially been lost and the thing has ground to a halt with new posters (as well as those who know that the site is going through a shit spell) been unable to post.

A real shame and a opportunity possibly lost. Certainly a lot of 'regulars' have given up and will wait to see what happens.

Me? well.... I love to talk and listen and the people there are great but I can't be arsed with the delays, non-delivered posts etc etc.

The thing about the web and 'real' venues is that there are other places to meet, but its the venue itself that is the defining point here...

I hope this won't be like the Marquee club where people say "oh yeah, I was there on Day One... yeah I see the groupies at other clubs and such but obviously it isn't the same..."

oh - I already have...

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • Oh Whisht - this is so sad....

    By Blogger valery p, at 12:20 am  

  • Hi Val,
    yeah, it is sad, but I'm also getting increasingly annoyed by the situation and its why I posted on the PM blog saying I was leaving till they got it fixed. Others have said the same and I wanted to put my hand up too so that PM know that they'll lose their audience. And I'm annoyed about that for all the reasons I blogged.

    I knew if anyone wanted to keep in touch they can do so using Flickr or any of the blogs (like Madmary's). These are free to use yet are pretty instantaneous and rarely (if ever) have technical problems. We fund the BBC a helluva lot of money and we can expect better service.

    I'm glad you dropped me a line Valery - I will keep an eye on the PM blog as I do want it to succeed but maybe if the 'old guard' flex a bit of 'contributor power' then it might speed up decisions about fixing the damn thing!

    see you around!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:48 am  

  • Whisht, will you do me a favour? I've started a mini-lilypad to try and get this sorted. If you wouldn't mind sending me your email address (go via my website link at www.unhinderedbytalent.org.uk for security) I'll tip you the wink when it's safe for your sanity to return!

    If it's sortable, we'll fix it. If not, we'll try to replicate the thing elsewhere.

    Damn it, we won't let it die!!!

    Fifi the Frog xx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:50 pm  

  • Jonnie has set up a very good temporary liferaft at http://www.pmblog.co.uk/froggers%20refuge.html if you fancy dropping by.

    And the blog itself is showing signs of reviving.

    Apparently it was all caused by spam, and other blogs have been affected. When they raised the anti-spam security level, it affected the ability to post. Sounds obvious now, doesn't it?

    I'm pleased to say both Eddie and Marc are keeping us updated via the Raft, and the atmosphere has improved greatly since yesterday.

    Oh, and a lot of us wrote to Feedback, which may also prove interesting!

    Miss you lots, Whisht.

    Fifi ;o)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:15 am  

  • Hello Whisht,

    I posted reply to your "Do you come here often?" comment to "A" on the most recent Furrowed Brow a few days ago (something about being jealosu that you never ask ME that, I admit) but it hasn't shown up. I've even tried to push it through with "Push" but nothing -- that thread seems to have stalled altogether. I don't often visit any of the linked sites or froggers' own blogs -- one blog addiction is more than enough! -- but tought it was time I had another little tootle over here. Just wanted to say that I did miss you and was glad you came back and hope you don't go away again even if I do understand your frustration!

    LOL, Aperitif, x.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:58 pm  

  • Whisht, I should have posted about this before, but didn't get down to it. Your comment about the Marquee Club made me laugh so much, as an ex clubber! But your point was right on the nail.

    Out of interest, when were you a Marquee man? Okay, you don't have to reply if you don't want to - and if you do, probably best via Flickr or email as I don't visit Peril v. often.

    Big Sis x

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home